5 Mistakes to Avoid when Designing for Print
In this digital age where much of the marketing is digital, it can be tricky when you decide to design print marketing materials instead. However, printed materials are a valuable part of a marketing strategy.
Avoid these mistakes when designing materials for print:
- Resolution: The resolution of your image determines the clarity and crispness of the image when printed. Therefore, when designing materials for print, it is essential that you use a high resolution image.
- Not Accounting for the Bleed: The bleed refers to the area around the edges of an image that will be cut off when printing. You will need to discuss with your printer how much bleed to allow for when designing your marketing materials. If you do not account for the bleed, parts of your image will be cut off when printed, or it may result in white space area that you did not plan on..
- Not Paying Attention to Color: Typically digital design platforms work in RGB (red, green, blue light) color because those are the colors that appear on your computer monitor. However, commercial printers utilize CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow and the K stands for black). These are the four colors used to produce 4 color process printing. Make sure your images for print are built in and saved in CMYK for the best color representation. Also, be sure not to use too high a percentage of CMYK color or you risk using too much ink on an image and it can appear oversaturated.
- Small Font Size and Weight: Avoid using small font sizes or fonts with small weights on marketing materials that will be printed. Fonts with thin weight or that are small in size will be illegible on printed materials.
- Spelling and Grammatical Errors: Be sure to check your marketing materials multiple times for spelling and grammar errors. If you don’t catch these errors before printing, the results can be extremely costly. Have others proofread as well to ensure you catch any errors you may have missed.
Contact us today to discover how we can help you design high-quality marketing materials that are ready to print!